About the film
"Hey Dad. You died suddenly."
The filmmaker, trying to make sense of the way his father chose to die, opens several boxes, all that is left behind. The forgotten photos, letters and home videos take the film back to 1970s Yugoslavia, when his parents became lovers. But the journey through the years, to family members, lost friends and places, reveals the lingering horrors of the recent Balkan wars still tearing people and families apart.
This is a film that, in the most immediate way, questions the individual responsibility of ordinary people caught in the winds of war.
- May 2012: A Letter to Dad wins both Best Serbian Documentary and FIPRESCI Serbia Best Documentary Award at BELDOCS 2012.
- April 2012: A Letter to Dad is in competition at Full Frame Documentary Film Festival (North American Premiere) and Filmfestival goEast (German Premiere).
- March 2012: At Tempo Documentary Film Festival in Stockholm, and Ljubljana Documentary Film Festival, Slovenia.
- January 2012: In the Documentary Competition at Trieste Film Festival.
- November 2011: A Letter to Dad had its International Premiere at IDFA.
- Sepbember 2011: A Letter to Dad is nominated for the Silver Eye Award for Best Midlength Documentary from Eastern Europe, and is now part of the East Silver Caravan.
- August 2011: A Letter to Dad wins the Best Balkan Documentary award at Dokufest. Pamela Cohn wrote this beautiful hearfelt review of the film.